NEW YEAR RESOLUTION FOR 2014 - TRAVEL MORE!!!
Wednesday January 1, 2014 by Alex Wood
The New Year has arrived, and with it all those resolutions that we're hoping to keep to in 2014!
If you've been down the resolution road before (and haven't we all?), then you'll know the score.Waking bleary eyed on 1st January you decide to sweep away all of your previously unhealthy old habits with the broom of good intentions. You boldly state your declaration of intent -"I'll lose 20 pounds! I'll run a marathon! I'm never drinking jagerbombs again!"
Once back into the routine of daily life however, our resolve generally melts away like the dirty snow left on the pavement. No surprise then that a study spearheaded by psychologist Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire, revealed that almost all of the 700 people they interviewed failed to stick to their New Year's resolutions! All is not lost though, and we're here to help.
The key to fulfilling any New Year's resolution is to plan ahead - and what better plan of action than to plan a treaty trip away? ‘Travel more' is inevitably one of the top 10 resolutions and once you've booked that holiday trip it'll almost certainly make you feel more positive about tackling your other goals. It might even be the vital added ingredient in helping to shed those unwanted Christmas pounds!
So in order to assist you in your planning we've put together a list of the un-missable big draws in the UK this year, along with some handy hints on where to stay.
Sports fans will no doubt know that 2014 promises to be a bumper year, what with the double whammy of the Winter Olympics in Russia and the Football World Cup in Brazil to look forward to! If like me however, you're unable to attend these global mega-events then don't despair - there is world class sport right here in the UK and here are our highlights of 2014:
The sport of kings - Horse racing!
- The Cheltenham Festival runs from 11 - 14 March and Cheltenham Plaza Apartments are located right in the town centre and Suffolk Road is conveniently just a 5 minute walk from the desirable Montpellier area.
- The Grand National at Aintree in Liverpool is run on 5 April. Staybridge Suites on the Kings Waterfront or Premier Apartments, just round the corner from the Cavern Club, are both great bets!
- Royal Ascot in Berkshire runs from 17 - 21 June. Stay in nearby Bracknell at Kelvin Gate Apartments or be neighbours with the queen at Guard's View Apartments in wonderful Windsor.
- And we're not forgetting Glorious Goodwood just outside of Chichester from 29 July - 2 August. Nearby Portsmouth offers a fantastic range of serviced apartments like The Blue Building on the waterfront!
Gold standard athletics:
- That (London) Marathon you resolved to do, remember?, its on 13 April. For the best views overlooking Tower Bridge stay at the new Cheval Three Quays developement opening in the new year. Call us for more information!
- The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow starts from 23 July - 3 August. Glasgow has a range of apartments to meet all budgets, such as Fraser Suites, Dreamhouse, The Spires, & SACO Apartments so give us a call to find your winner.
- The European Athletics Championships come to Swansea, from 18 - 23 August. Where to stay? Try Meridian Quay, literally a stone's throw from Swansea beach and the stunning views over Mumbles and Swansea Bay.
Anyone for tennis?
- See Andy Murray defend his crown at Wimbledon fortnight. It starts on 23 June and reaches it's climax at the finals weekend on the 5/6 July. Wimbledon goes crazy for these two weeks of the year and your best chance of finding accommodation is to stay in central London away from the madness and make the short commute in. Call us to book your apartment now and we can help with travel tips to and from the grounds!
- The ATP Tennis World Tour finals are held at the O2 Arena in London's docklands from 9 - 16 November and its where the worlds best players battle for the final honours of the year. Discovery Dock in the heart of Canary Wharf is right at the heart of the action.
Cycling - and woo-hoo, Sir Brad is back! Will it be Wiggins or Froome leading the Sky team to another famous victory this year in the worlds most famous road cycling race - the Tour de France. Despite it's name this year the tour sets off on its opening stages in the good old UK.
- Tour de France stages 1 & 2 are in the north of England at Leeds & York/Sheffield on the 5 & 6 July. So where to stay? Try Waterloo Court Apartments located in the cobbled streets of Leeds city centre or Clearly Apartments in stunningly beautiful York.
- Tour de France stage 3 is from Cambridge to London on 7 July. Stay at Sun Street studio apartments in Cambridge city centre and watch the riders get ready and set off on the last UK stage before they leave for France.
"Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad." ~ A.A. Milne. If you prefer to watch the good then you're in for a treat!
- The Scottish Open comes to the Royal Aberdeen Golf Club from 10 - 13 July and Dreamhouse Aberdeen is ideally located to access this beautiful links course.
- The Open Championship takes place at the Royal Liverpool Golf Club this year from 17 - 20 July. We have a great selection of apartments in Liverpool city centre to use as a base, such as Premier Apartments or Staybridge Suites.
- The Ryder Cup will be contested at Gleneagles in Scotland, from 23 - 28 September.
A Quintessentially English Experience.
Away from the world of sport these are the key events for those of you looking for the ultimate English Experience...
- London Fashion week - Stay at St Martins Court Apartments for a front row seat from the 17 - 22 Feb.
- The Chelsea Flower Show - put down some temporary roots at The Apartments Chelsea or Sloane Club Apartments from 20 - 24 May and enjoy this sensational show.
- The Henley Regatta from 2 - 5 July is one of the worlds best known sailing events and is an essential part of the summer's sporting and social season. Stay in nearby Maidenhead to escape the hooray Henry's!
- Glastonbury! This famously muddy festival takes place from 25 - 29 June. If you can't face slumming it why not book an apartment at nearby SACO Bath for a spot of luxury!
- Birmingham's Jazz/Blues Festival - running from 18 - 27 July. Join the party and stay in one our city centre apartments!
- The world famous Farnborough Air Show returns after a year off on 14 - 20 July. We've got plenty to offer in this charming town - SACO Farnborough or Equinox Place come to mind.
- The Notting Hill Carnival (still remember that no-drinking resolution?) bursts into town on 24 & 25 August. Stay right at the heart of all the fun at Notting Hill Studios and enjoy all the colour and glitz - just don't expect to sleep!
Homecoming Scotland in 2014
If you want to venture north of the border up to beautiful, sunny Scotland then you'll be in for a treat. 2014 will be the Year of Homecoming Scotland and in addition to the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup, there's a year-long programme of events and activities to showcase all that's great about Scotland. The city of Edinburgh comes alive every summer when the festival comes to town but this charming destination is worth a visit at any time of year. This year also sees the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, a pivotal moment is Scotland's history when Robert the Bruce led the charge against the English army. As part of an exciting weekend in June, there will be a spectacular re-enactment of the iconic battle - a must for Braveheart fans!
Here's my top pick of what Scotland has to offer in 2014...
- Glasgow Film Festival - Action starts 20 Feb - 2 Mar
- Bannockburn Live - The battle commences 28 - 30 June near to Stirling, just 30 minutes from Glasgow.
- Edinburgh Jazz/Blues Festival - Rock the party from 18 - 27 July
- The Edinburgh Festival - This iconic event runs from 8 - 31 August
- The Edinburgh Fringe - The real main event? 1 - 25 August
- The Edinburgh Military Tattoo - Performances from 1 - 23 August
Welsh poetry and Dylan Thomas' celebrations.
Finally, for myself and all of the other culture vultures, 2014 celebrates the 100th anniversary of the birth of Dylan Thomas, the celebrated poet, and makes Wales the must visit destination this summer.
''It's that - the thought of the few, simple things we want and the knowledge that we're going to get them in spite of you know Who and His spites and tempers - that keeps us living I think.'' - Dylan Thomas (1914-1953)
Swansea, as Dylan's birthplace, plays host to many events & exhibitions but there are events on all over Wales throughout the year. An ideal place to stay is Meridian Quay Apartments, literally a stone's throw from Swansea beach and the stunning views over Mumbles and Swansea Bay.
So there you have it. My suggestions for the best upcoming events in the UK this year. What are you waiting for? Call us on 020 7704 6514 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know your requirements and we'll do the hard work finding your perfect serviced apartment break now!
Follow me on twitter @alexwpas
Posted by Alex Wood